Founded in 1917, Peninsula Iron Works (PIW) began as a combination foundry, blacksmith and machine shop, servicing the wood products industry in Portland, Oregon. During WWI, Peninsula Iron Works produced tail shafts, rudders, stern tubes and steering gears for the wooden cargo ships built to assist Great Britain. After WWI, Peninsula Iron Works returned to supporting the timber industry with sawmill carriages, lumber handling equipment and a popular portable dragsaw. The also manufactured the first chain saw.
During WWII, Peninsula Iron Works joined other local industries in working around the clock to supply goods and services for the war effort. Peninsula Iron Works produced nearly 1.5 million hand grenade casings in a 2 ½ year period. Following the end of WWII, the company refocused on the timber industry manufacturing veneer hogs, dual belt and wide belt sanders and Peninsula Scissor Lifts.